Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Addictions

I was posed the question, "Can one person actually be addicted to another?" My initial path of investigation dealt with the chemical changes your body goes through when around someone who, let's say, uses a certain cologne, or always makes you laugh. Your body reacts with stimulation like this. Can this be the addiction he wonders about? Maybe the explanation is less technical. If I have the personality that makes someone feel good about themselves, and this is a feeling they enjoy having, then they seek to have this feeling as often as possible. Hmm..

I have felt a "connection" with people in the past who I felt were the type of people I wanted to be around for whatever reason, but I never felt "addicted" to them. I know what addiction is, I smoked for years. Seperation from (most) people won't make me want to yell at everyone and eat until I explode. So I don't think I've ever been addicted to anyone.

So emotional feelings, let's explore that a moment. Was this person describing a romantic reaction? Could it be that one person who said it IS possible to be addicted to someone is actually looooovveeee??? ha ha...he will yell at me for that, he doesn't fall in love. (he's never wrong either!) What does that leave us? I know it's not physical attraction, there is plenty of that going on in the world, and it never triggers the concern for rehab. Well, unless you are in danger of losing your job or mind over someone..

It came to me (yeah, brilliant, I know) to look up the definition of addiction: 1. The quality or state of being addicted 2 : compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance (as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal; broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful.

Ok, so my summation is that yes, you can be addicted to a person. The definition states that you can be addicted to reading, and I imagine this to be true because reading insights emotions that after a period of time, your body can come to crave. A person can surely have impact enough on your emotions, senses even actions to miss it when it's gone. I know I've gone through plenty enough physiological symptoms as a result of having someone withdrawn from my life. So yes, SC, after careful investigation, contemplating, and coming to conclusions, maybe all my own, it is possible to become addicted to someone.

Let's build a treatment center, and get rich!!

2 Comments:

Blogger The Blogger Formally Known As Van! said...

Yes a person can be addicted to another.. I am addicted to you :-) will you send me some of your worn panties :-)

6:36 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Oh Lord! hee hee

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home